Monday, April 23, 2012

Get Away to Where the Boat Leaves From: Tidal Basin Paddle Boats

We've started making our spring/summer bucket list and, given Kane's pirate obsession, we have an entire category of water-related activities, including taking out a paddle boat on the tidal basin.  So this past weekend, we took advantage of the beautiful weather and went down to check it out.  We had a bit to wait for a canopied boat, which turned out to be OK because everyone but me suddenly had to go to the bathroom.  Mom and I schlepped over to the Holocaust Museum (if you're on that area of the Mall and have to go, remember that you can duck into the cafe there relatively easily and use a nice bathroom) while daddy and Kane opted for the Mall public restrooms (should have gone with us!).  When we got back there was a whole row of canopied boats waiting and we eagerly put on our life vests, walked down the gangway, and then I promptly lost my s*it.  Mom dragged me away screaming at the top of my lungs while daddy and Kane hopped on and took off.  And then I lost it again -- screaming "no, dada. me too! me too!"  It was probably best -- instead of having to paddle four people around, dad only had to paddle two.  While the boys had a good time out on the water, mom and I "walked" (meaning mom carried me the entire way) over to the MLK memorial, which we've been wanting to visit.  I was getting hungry and sang the "hot dog" song from Mickey's Clubhouse the entire way.  It was really crowded so perhaps we just didn't get to take it all in, but mom was kind of disappointed in the memorial.  We'll have to go back outside of tourist season!  We met back up with the boys who had had a blast -- although daddy looked a bit tired out.  And I finally got my hotdog from a vendor, which is always the best way to go.

Tidal Basin Paddle Boats charges $12/hr for a 2-person boat and $19/hr for a 4-person boat.  Until Labor Day, boats run 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. (last boat out at 5 p.m.)  



even though batman has replaced captain kane, he was still into the boats


eyeing up the boats


hi mom! 


hi dada! 



my legs aren't long enough.  sorry, dad.


no, seriously.  where are the hot dogs?







No comments: