Thursday, December 18, 2014

Easiest Sufganiyot Ever



No lie. That is actually the "name" of the recipe I followed to make the easiest. sufganiyot. ever. Hanukkah means lots of yummy foods, especially those fried in oil like sufganiyot. I wanted to make some with the kids, but was looking for a super easy way to do it. By the time we get home from school during the week, there's little time left before dinner needs to get moving. So I was really excited when I found My Name is Yeh's recipe (plus, her blog and photos are gorgeous. our after sundown kitchen shots don't even come close). Happy Hanukkah!


Easiest Sufganiyot Ever
(very slightly adapted from My Name is Yeh)

Ingredients
- one roll of store-bought biscuit dough
- canola oil, for frying
- a small bowl of sugar, white or powdered
- about 1/2 cup jam

Directions 
1. let the dough sit at room temperature for 20 minutes so that it's easy to roll out.
2. open biscuits and lightly sprinkle flour one each side (My Name is Yeh rolled out the dough and recut it into smaller biscuits. I decided to skip it, which made much larger donuts, but still worked great).
3. fill a pot with 2 inches of oil and heat it to 360 F. you'll want to keep the temperature between 360 and 375.
4. fry the dough until each side is a deep brown (or, in our case, really really deep brown).
5. transfer donuts to a paper towel, pat off any excess grease, and then coat with sugar.
6. fill with jam using a squeeze bottle. if the jam is being difficult, warm it for 30 seconds in the microwave.

I did all the frying and let the kids handle steps 5 and 6 after the donuts had cooled enough to handle. The are YUM!





No comments: