Monday, February 2, 2015

Daily Sketchbook Challenge


We have had very little time this year during the school week to just sit and create. And while we normally have more time to do that on the weekends, lately that time seems to be sucked up with the all-consuming moving process. So when I came across Tinkerlab's Daily Sketchbook Challenge, which provides a sketching idea prompt each day of February that will take as little as 5 minutes per day of creative time, I knew we had to do it. I'm really not much of a sketcher myself, but I love how Rachelle of Tinkerlab says that "Your creations don't have to be works of amazing art, and in fact they probably shouldn't be all that spectacular, especially if you're pushing yourself to try something new, experiment, and be bold." It's a great way to show your kids that you can think creatively without worrying about being perfect.


So yesterday was the first day of the challenge and the prompt was "stripes." I was a little worried that arting with the kids in this way would result in them just trying to copy what I was doing -- not because I know what I'm doing, but just because that seems to happen sometimes when we're all working on similar things. But happily they just sat down and create their own vision of "stripes" -- not really paying me any mind. It wasn't a long exercise, Cam sat longer than Kane did. But it was nice to intentionally make some creative time and I'm excited for the rest of the month. Even if we can't pull it together every day, it'll be a good reason to try.

Want to join us?! Head over to Tinkerlab for all the details -- Rachelle has a great setup post outlining everything you need to know. Sketch on!





No comments: