Friday, December 9, 2016

The Friday Five!



Despite the fact that I feel like I haven't had two seconds to focus on anything this week, I'm in a good mood because our Christmas tree is up, the menorah is out, and our kids have been in the holiday SPIRIT. They've wholeheartedly embraced our Giving Back Advent Calendar and have been (dare I say it) playing so nicely together all week in a bunch of cardboard boxes that delivered holiday presents. I'm sure it will all go to hell over the weekend, but I'll take it for now! Here's what else we've been up to this week .....

Playing -- the kids' grandparents brought Pictionary Junior with them over Thanksgiving and the kids have been loving it. Cam actually follows the rules. Kane insists on trying to make everyone solve his own perplexors. But both seem to be enjoying it!

Reading -- We finished Evil Spy School and moved on to Spy Ski School this week -- both kids have been into this series much more than others we've tried recently. It's enough mystery for Kane with enough funny for Cam. We also started reading The President and Me: George Washington and the Magic Hat by Deborah Kalb. We met Deborah at a local book fair last weekend that the kids patiently staffed with me. Kane was obsessed with George Washington when he was younger, so this has been a great book for him so far!

Cooking -- I don't cook pork a lot, but this Pork Chops and Couscous with Tomato-Caper Sauce was a huge win with everyone. Plus it actually came together in about 20 minutes as promised. I will definitely be working this one in as a regular recipe for busy nights.

Wanting -- I am on the constant hunt for a tablecloth that looks good, resists stains, and doesn't need to be ironed (HATE ironing). It's been a losing battle thus far. Until I threw a paper table runner from Cami's birthday party last year over my white tablecloth for Thanksgiving. Hides wrinkles, helps keep the tablecloth from being stained, and just adds a touch of festive. I've got my eye on this gold marble one for Christmas dinner.

Making -- As I mentioned, the kids have been spending hours, HOURS building cardboard box offices this week. It appears they've dragged half of their rooms in there, but they've been playing so nicely I don't mind a bit. So no new purchase recommendations this week -- just let them at all those holiday present boxes!

No comments: